When your child receives a diagnosis of autism it can be a very difficult and challenging time for the whole family. Many parents are caught up in the emotion of the diagnosis which is totally understandable as they come to grips with their new situation. The Shine Family Support Service was established to work with parents on the practicalities of dealing with the diagnosis of autism and ensuring that they have the information they require in the areas of services, entitlements, education and support services. Many parents simply don’t know where to start with the number of forms to be completed and the amount of red tape to be negotiated. This just adds more stress to an already stressful situation. Parent’s will soon learn that they will have to actively apply for these entitlements and services as there is no automatic entitlement to any of these benefits and supports.
We also know that diagnosis is just the start of the journey and the Family Support Service is always available to work with parents when problems or issues arise as your child gets older. We are available to advise and support parents when they need help in overcoming a particular difficulty or to offer ongoing support if required.
Kieran Kennedy – Family Support Service Manager:
Ellu Cooney Kuldkepp – Family Support Officer:
• Assisting parents in understanding “what happens next” and how to move forward to secure services, entitlements and appropriate educational provision.
• The processes involved in applying for allowances and entitlements.
• Advising and assisting parents with any issues that may arise that directly affect their child. For example the withdrawal of a particular service or difficulties in the areas of education and entitlements.
• The Family Support Service will help you to identify the allowances and payments that you are entitled to.
• Assist parents with the application process.
• Application for Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA)
• Application for Carers Allowance
• Application for Disability Allowance (Children over 16 years)
• Applying for the Incapacitated Child Credit
• Advise on sourcing and securing an appropriate educational placement.
• Applications for the Home Tuition Programme.
• Applying for a place in the Shine Early Learning Unit.
• Source an appropriately qualified Home Tutor (Cork area only).
• Step by step guidance on navigating your way through the State system.
• Entitlements for service provision
• Referrals for Private Interventions – Speech & Language Therapy/Occupational Therapy etc.
• Rights and entitlements under disability legislation
The Family Support Service operates Monday to Friday 9.30 to 4.30 and can be contacted on 021 4377052 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
For all the latest news & information sign up to our newsletter
Tickets for the 2024 Front Row Fashion Show are now on sale: Join us for an electrifyingRead more
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL PARTENTS WHO HAVE USED OR AVAILED OF ASSESSMENT OF NEED PROCESS FROMRead more
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUPPORT THE WORK OF THE SHINE CENTRE AND MAKE A REAL DIFFERENCE THISRead more
Autism An Understanding: Training Course - Maryborough Hotel Wednesday 15th November 2023 CPDRead more
VIEW ALL POSTS