Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a means tested payment for carers on low incomes who live with and look after people who need full time care and attention.(source: Citizens Information Board). If you are caring for a child who is under sixteen years of age, you must be in receipt of Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) before you can claim Carer’s Allowance. “The Carer’s Allowance payment is made up of a personal rate for the carer and an increase for a qualified child. You may claim the full rate if you are a carer and are single, widowed or separated. You can work up to fifteen hours a week and keep your carer’s allowance.
(source: Citizens Information Board).

To Qualify for a Carer’s Allowance Payment:

The person receiving care must be:

• Over the age of sixteen unless in receipt of Domiciliary Care allowance.
• Must be so incapacitated as to require “continuous supervision in order to avoid danger to him or her or continual supervision and frequent assistance throughout the day in connection with normal bodily functions.
• This care must last for at least twelve months.

Carer’s Allowance is a means tested payment and you must state all sources of income in the application process.
What counts as means in the application process?

“Your means are any income you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant have or property (except primary residence) or an asset that could bring in money to provide you with an income.” (Citizens Information Board).

Any payment by the Department of Social Protection is not taken into account in the means test for Carers Allowance.
The means test for the carer’s allowance involves assessing your income. The first €332.50 of your gross weekly income is not taken into account if you are classed as a single person. If you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting the first €665 of your combined gross weekly income is disregarded. PRSI, union dues, superannuation (pension contributions) and travel expenses are also deducted. If you are getting a social welfare payment from another state an amount up to the maximum rate of the Irish state pension is exempt from the means test. Any foreign social welfare payment above the maximum Irish State Pension rate is treated as income for the means test. If you getting maintenance payments these are assessed and the first €332.50 (or €665 for a couple) is disregarded. (Citizens Information Board).

The application process for Carers Allowance is handled by the Department of Social Protection. This Department will pay the allowance should your application be successful.

Visit: Carer’s Allowance for more information

Further information can also be obtained by visiting:


For all the latest news & information sign up to our newsletter